One on One with Dawa Narbula, Member of Parliament, Darjeeling Constituency Interviewed by Barun Roy:
Question: The Gorkha Janmukti Morch is demanding for an early tripartite meeting between the Central Government, West Bengal Government and the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha, you had stated a few days earlier that after meeting Mrs Sonia Gandhi, she had assured you that a tripartite meeting will be held soon. What is the update on that and will you be calling upon her to discuss on the issue again?
Answer: I will be leaving for Darjeeling to access the situation. I will also be holding a meeting with the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha leaders and discuss on the Tripartite Meeting between the Central Government, West Bengal Government and the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha. I have met the Honourable Chairman of the UPA, Mrs. Sonia Gandhi and she has resolved to call the Tripartite Meeting as soon as possible.
Question: How soon will the meeting take place?
Answer:The date has not yet been fixed but it will be held soon. First we will have to take care of the situation back in Darjeeling Hills and wait for things to return back to normal as soon as possible.
Question: The Pradesh Congress Committee President Mr. Priyaranjan Das Munshi had almost a month ago declared of Congress Party’s negative stand on Gorkhaland. Does this also mean that the AICC hold the same view? Is Indian National Congress against Gorkhaland?
Answer: I do not want to comment on that. I am however on the side of the people and will work for their aspirations.
Question: Does that mean that you are in favour of Gorkhaland and you stand by it?
Answer: Yes, I am very much in favour of Gorkhaland and I stand by it.
This interview ended abruptly as the Darjeeling MP refused to answer any further questions without giving any reasons.
The unanswered questions were:
- What is your comment on the prevailing political situation in Darjeeling Hills?
- Will you resign from your post and the party if what Priya Ranjan Das Munshi says ‘Indian National Congress is against the formation of Gorkhaland’ resonates from New Delhi also?
- How many times have you raised the issue of Gorkhaland at the floor of the house in the Parliament?
- According to Government of India Members of Parliament Local Area Development Funds Division you have received 12 installments of Rs. 50 Lakhs each since 2002-2003. The Total amount paid is Rs. 6 Crores. Further the Cumulative Expenditure Sheet (Since 1993) of the Members of Parliament Local Area Development Division, Government of India, of the Rs. 26.05 Crores entitled, Rs. 24.05 Crores was released by the Government of India. The percent of finance spent as shown to the Government of India was 94. 58 with 1.67 Crores remain unspent. Could you please clarify the following:
- How many projects were initiated under these schemes?
- On what stages are these projects presently?
- Where were the projects initiated?